Building Evacuation Procedure
Florida International University has adopted a "no nonsense" approach to fire alarm response University-wide, and in doing so has instituted internal policies and procedures to support a Zero Tolerance Fire Alarm Response Program.
The continuous visual and audible signaling of the fire alarm system is the
evacuation signal for all types of emergencies. All building occupants
must respond to activation of the alarm by immediately initiating
evacuation procedures, as follows:
- Complete internal departmental or class evacuation procedures
- Follow EXIT signs to the nearest safe exit. Do not use the
elevators! All types of footwear that may hamper descent, such as high
heels and clogs, should be removed
- Evacuees should make every effort while not endangering themselves to assure that everyone, including individuals with mobility impairments, have evacuated the area
Note: Evacuation plans for persons with disabilities must be made
part of each department’s documented emergency evacuation procedures. Emergency Evacuation for Persons with Physical Disablities
- Walk down stairs. Do Not Run!
- As you approach the landing of each floor allow evacuees from that level to enter the stairwell
- If evacuation becomes difficult because of smoke, flames or
blockage, re-enter the building, but first, assure that the floor on
which you re-enter is safe. Continue evacuation via the nearest safe
- Once you have exited the building proceed to your designated Evacuation Assembly Area
- Do not re-enter the building unless authorized by a Public Safety
Officer, fire department personnel, or until a recognized University
authority broadcasts the "All Clear" directive.