The Department of Environmental Health & Safety protects the university community and its environment by ensuring our operations – from residential living to lab research – comply with all applicable regulations and best practices. Our skilled team members are available provide consultation and hands-on assistance
- Biological Safety – Use of biohazardous materials; bloodborne pathogens; recombinant DNA; select agents and toxins; inventory control; biohazard evaluations; biosafety cabinets; and animal care medical monitoring.
- Chemical Safety – Handling of hazardous materials, material safety data sheets (MSDS), chemical safety evaluations, research protocol reviews, inventory control and personal protection equipment (PPE)
- Controlled Substances Safety– Registration, purchase, use, inventory security and disposition of controlled substances
- Environmental Compliance – Requirements for hazardous waste, stormwater, environmental permitting and reports, indoor air quality and pollution prevention
- Fire Prevention and Protection – State fire marshal reviews, building evaluations, fire safety guidelines, fire extinguishers, evacuation drills, hot work permits, automated external defibrillators (AEDs) and Evacu-Trac emergency evacuation chairs
- General Safety – Access to information on shop, vehicle, golf cart, equipment, electrical, hearing and warehouse safety. Additionally, ergonomics, injury/incident investigations and FIU-SAFE requests
- Industrial Safety – From arts studios to research labs, the industrial safety program keeps us safe from a variety of hazards throughout the university.
- Laboratory Safety – Information covering laboratory safety evaluations, lab hoods, lab closures and relocations, research protocol reviews and the laboratory safety culture resources
- Laser Safety – Registration, purchase, use, inventory of laser devices
- Radiation Safety – Authorization, purchase, use, inventory, storage & disposal of radioactive materials and radiation-producing machines and nano materials
- Safety Training: Offers classroom and online training for all EH&S functions listed above