The Lab Self-Audit (LSA) is a mandatory self-inspection program for FIU's laboratory community intended to cultivate a proactive approach to safety and regulatory compliance in all laboratory working environments. Conducted annually through an online survey, this program supports the lab community by:
- Promoting individual accountability for safety and regulatory compliance
- Encouraging a proactive approach to environmental health and safety issues
- Facilitating a better understanding of regulatory compliance
- Reducing lab-related incidents/injuries/violations/fines through encouraging effective communication and training
The LSA survey is designed to identify safety and compliance concerns, and suggesting corrective actions. Submissions are reviewed by EH&S to verify whether safety equipment, standards, and practices are in place as required by governing regulatory agencies and institutional policies.
The LSA will be used in conjunction with the EH&S annual inspections to identify compliance concerns/deficiencies and allows EH&S to assist in implementing corrective actions by educating the lab users on best laboratory practices and procedures.
*New to 2020* - The LSA has undergone key structural changes and modifications. The changes include the following:
- EH&S will restrict access to the LSA by distributing the LSA link directly to the Principal Investigator (PIs) and Academic Laboratory Mangers.
- If you have not received the introductory email and are a PI, Academic Laboratory Manager, or the primary contact for the laboratory, contact email@example.com.
- 'OFFLINE' laboratories are required to submit the LSA; a conditional trigger will register the location and end the survey.
- An alternate can be appointed by the PI or Academic Laboratory Manager to complete and submit the LSA on their behalf.
- Document Upload Required:
- Emergency Hazardous Spill Procedure (only if applicable)
- Emergency Incident and/or Injury Procedure
- Emergency Evacuation Procedure
- Emergency Shutdown Procedure
Please read the latest communication pertaining to the upcoming launch of the 2020 LSA.
- LSA Preview – A PDF copy of the online survey, showing all questions, explanations, choices, and conditional triggers.
- Please note: This is NOT the official Lab Self-Audit. Please do not submit to EH&S for review.
- LSA Checklist - Shows condensed questions in an inspection checklist style for quick safety walkthroughs. Use this prior to commencing the LSA or throughout the year to ensure compliance.
- Lab Self-Audit - Provided to PIs and Academic Lab Managers via emailed link.
- Begins - September 9th, 2020
- Ends - November 18th, 2020
2018 LSA Data Report
2017 LSA Data Report
2016 LSA Data Report