Environmental Health & Safety stays up to do date to ensure that you get the latest safety and environmental compliance information. Check here for the newest alerts.
- Safety Expo Tabling Events - June 2, 7, 9, and 14
FIU EH&S will be hosting safety tabling events across multiple locations in June!
Here is the schedule and locations:
- June 2 - MMC, GC Panther Pit (11:00 am - 3:00 pm)
- June 7 - EC, West Lobby (11:00 am - 3:00 pm)
- June 9 - BBC, MSB 105 (11:00 am - 3:00 pm)
- June 14 - CTS, Main Lobby (11:00 am - 3:00 pm)
What can you expect at each event?
- Meet and greet with the EH&S team
- Safety program information
- Safety scenarios
- Learning moments
- and more!
Please come out and join us, we'd love to see you!
- Online Safety Training Library Changes - November 24, 2021 (5/4/22 Update)
EH&S's online safety training library will be undergoing extensive changes.
These are the list of courses being affected by the changes:
- Arc Flash
- Back Safety
- Biological and Chemical Threats
- Chemical Handling Safety - Basic Principles - Active/Back Online (2/15/22)
- Chemical Handling Safety - Corrosives
- Chemical Handling Safety - Solvents
- Compressed Gas Cylinder Safety - Active/Back Online (1/28/22)
- Confined Space Entry
- Defensive Driving - 15 Passenger Vans
- Defensive Driving - Government Employees
- Electrical Safety - Construction - Active/Back Online (3/14/22)
- Electrical Safety - General
- Environmental Awareness PT 1 and PT 2 - Active/Back online (1/12/22) (New Title: Environmental Awareness...beginning July 2022, it will be formally retitled: Environmental Compliance and Pollution Prevention)
- Ergonomics - General
- Fall Protection
- Forklift Basics
- Hand Protection
- Hazard Communication (HAZCOM) - Active/Back onine (1/4/22)
- Hazmat Awareness
- HAZWOPER Awareness
- Hearing Protection
- Incident Investigation
- Infection Control Essentials: Every Action Counts
- Infection Control for Ambulatory Care - Active/Back online (2/2/22) - Now titled "Infection Control in Ambulatory Healthcare Setting"
- Job Safety Analysis
- Machine Guarding
- Mold Awareness
- Needlestick Prevention - Active/Back online (1/12/22)
- Office Ergonomics
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - General/Industrial - Currently being worked on
- Powered Hand Safety Tools - Currently being worked on
- Respirator Safety
- Respirator Safety - Disposable Respirators
- Safety Orientation
- Slips Trips and Falls
- Small Spills and Leaks - Active/Back online (1/4/22)
- Tuberculosis - identification and Control - Active/Back online (5/4/22)
- Welding/Hotwork Safety
Of this list, courses which EH&S have deemed "mandatory" for your work duties, or which have a high priority for other areas, will be placed back online throughout the month of December and January.
The courses will be more FIU-specific, with new and simplified content, and will no longer be in interactive format.
Course titles will remain the same, for the most part, in order to avoid general confusion and issues.
After priority and mandatory courses go live, EH&S will continue to place back courses which have had higher useage. This will take place starting mid-late January and will continue from there.
Less popular courses will not go back online.
EH&S thanks you for your understanding during this time period. If you have any questions, concerns, or general feedback, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New EHS Chemical Inventory Tracking System is LIVE! - August 16, 2021
Great news! The new EHS Chemical Inventory Tracking System is now live! Access it at https://ehsinventory.fiu.edu. You can also access it through our Resources page. Use your FIU credentials to log in.
Background: Over the past year, EH&S has partnered with FIU Division of IT to create a new, in-house, web based, user-friendly chemical inventory sytem. This system has replaced the EHS Assistant system.
What does this mean for you? In a nutshell...
- You will be working with a system designed and built around the needs of the FIU research community.
- Support will be fully in-house and prompt.
- Continuous system improvements.
- FIU single sign-on access.
- System accessible from anywhere, with any device.
- No more third-party vendor.
For any questions, comments, or general feedback, please email email@example.com.
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) - March 2020As the Coronavirus remains a global concern, FIU EH&S wants to ensure you are getting the most up-to-date information about the virus, and how to take measures to prevent the spread of it.
For the latest national information on the Coronavirus, please refer to Coronavirus.gov or the Center For Disease Control's Website.
For the latest information specific to Florida, please refer to Florida's Department of Health Website.
For the latest updates pertaining to FIU, please refer to FIU's Website.